Sandile Mantsoe, has been arrested for the murder of a 22-year-old woman, whose killing has shocked South Africa, has been charged with her murder at a court in Johannesburg.
Karabo Mokoena's mother wept as she arrived at the hearing.
A widespread online campaign to find Ms Mokoena was called off on Wednesday when her father confirmed her death.
The case has sparked a fierce debate about the levels of violence faced by women in South Africa. The suspect, who has not yet pleaded, will remain in custody after the case was adjourned until 24 May, local Jacaranda News reports.
Police are still waiting for DNA tests to confirm the identity of the body, which they said was "badly burned".
Singer, Eniola Akinbo aka Niyola, is speaking out more about domestic violence after the death of her friend, 22-year-old Karabo Mokoena, who was murdered and burnt to death by her abusive ex-boyfriend, Sandile Mantsoe, in South Africa. Emphasizing on the importance of speaking out and walking away from violent situations, Niyola said;
This is so hard for me but my friend would have wanted me to help someone through this . I have seen domestic violence first hand and I always stood against it but this time I will do what I can to pull as many people into this fight with me. This guy Sandile not only murdered My friend, he burnt her beyond recognition and had his mother and sister help him clean up . If not for the CCTV no one would have known.Don't be fooled about anybody's supposed family / friend's support and pacifying. When it comes down to it, they will protect their own. Women I beg you, don't protect that man by lying to your family or friends about his evil , inhumane ways . Speak out !!!! If you know he is bad for you , don't say his family loves you ... RUN !This one has been charged with pre meditated murder, and a bail hearing in 2 weeks but we won't rest till justice is served.You too can get justice even while you're alive , and you can get your life back before it's totally lost. If your husband hits you, call the cops, or call someone you know and stop dying in silence. It is not your problem, there's nothing to be afraid / ashamed of. It's his cowardice and dementia . #RIPKay
Last modified onFriday, 19 May 2017 19:04
- Stopping Congo’s War on Women
- Muse Of The Day| Denis Mukwege: The rape surgeon of DR Congo
- #SayNoToDomesticViolence | Wife-beater Kakol, Drummer To The Group Werrason Attacks Wife Linda Mundele
- Wife-beater Lanre Gentry Remanded in Kirikiri Prison for Wife Battering
- #SayNoToViolenceAgainstWomen| Peter Okoye Speaks Out Against Domestic Violence, Specifically Men Who Physically Assault Women
Latest from Amaka
- PHOTOS: 20th Anniversary Celebration of "Love Jones"+The ‘Power’ Premiere In D.C
- Meet Nigerians Elected Into the UK Parliament
- Ariana Grande to get honorary citizenship of Manchester + Tinashe’s Colorism Comments Land The Singer In Hot Water
- Hate crime reports increase slightly in Canada
- Six dead and dozens missing as massive blaze 'sparked by faulty fridge' engulfs 27-storey tower block in just 15 minutes